Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Revolution Watch---Conservation


“Conservation doesn’t capture the urgency of our existential moment in history. In fact, conservation is like a salve to assuage the conscience of well-meaning people who are stuck in Business As Usual (BAU). We can be conned into thinking that we are doing our part by swapping out incandescent light bulbs." Ron Swensen



Interesting comment. One of the things I am learning is that, while conservation is good, it is not a solution, when in fact, it is only being done to make sure we can continue doing what we are doing. In other words, right now we are looking for a car that will get close to 50 miles per gallon. In this country that leaves me about 2 cars, a VW diesel or a Prius. I would be doing this mostly to decrease my gas bill (Then again Jevon's paradox may kick in and I will just drive more). Our very nice Subaru gets a miserable 26 MPG even though it is a very nice set of wheels and I look very cool in it---some say similar to a chick magnate.



The other reason is to conserve oil which is a finite resource. It is nice to conserve and that makes me feel like I am doing my part---other than being cool. However, I am really out to maintain my business as usual (BAU) when, in fact, what needs to be done is forget having a car all together. I read that in Stockholm only 20% of the folks have cars. We actually have a couple of them and that includes the '69 VW bus we bought new. How cools is that?




I guess what it comes down to, is there is more to conservation. We have to begin to look at a new way of life many steps down from where we are. Oh, check some of the quotes to the right and notice one Jimmy Carter.



I may have to settle looking at our own Irises rather than going to the Botanical Garden in Milwaukee. So be it.












No comments:

Post a Comment