Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Growing Potatoes

I know this is not a new story but it is a good one. All of us have heard of planting potatoes in tires, that would be old tires. Put one tire on the ground, fill it with dirt and compost, plant a potato "seed" in the middle and then as it grows, continue adding tires and filling each new tires with more fertile dirt. A the end of the year disassemble the outfit and there will be a bunch of potatoes.

I never tried it because, while I may have some backwoods tendencies, the idea of stacking tires in my yard didn't have certain aesthetic appeal. Rather like having an old van for a chicken coop. It may work but look s a bit rough. Still might be good for a scaled down future. In any case, I never tried it, but as some folks know I have had some other suspect projects that may have been outside the mainstream view (Bruce would know).






Well, it comes to pass that this dude has an alternative. He simply partially fills a big plastic bag, of the garbage variety, with soil and then drops in a potato. As it grows he adds more dirt and mulch and maybe the neighbors cat (Dead). In time the bag is filled with soil and potatoes harvested in the fall. He stated he had hoped to garner maybe 20 Lbs per bag unit. He had like 20 of them, lived in a city, and seemed hell bent on providing some sort of subsistence from his efforts.

I was impressed because of the simplicity ( and got rid of cats) and mostly the anticipated output. That is a lot of carbos and if it can be pulled off, it would make on hell of a statement. Of course, one has to like potatoes, but they are a good famine food along with turnips and rutabagas.


So what one sees here is my test of the system. I anticipate using chicken wire to support the bag as it grows. As of this date two plants are growing. I am puffed up like a toad thinking I have an answer for world hunger. Lets see, if a person, say 2 persons were to eat 2 Lbs of spuds a day, every day for 365 days all I need is 730 Lbs of taters or 40 bags. Any extras could be used for vodka production. Has this been done before?

No comments:

Post a Comment