Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Hit and Miss Engine---Maybe Sustainable

I am by definition a "motor head" in that I like motors and contraptions. Problem is , most of them, the ones I like, are very old, say 75 years or better. There is an interesting thing about old motors. They are not gizmo-endowed screamers made to fall apart after short use, they were developed to last a genuinely long time, maybe generations. That is what gets the attention of my sustainable mind. I know, your saying my mind is not sustainable. it is a figure of speech.



What I have is a 1922 "M" McCormick Deering, 3HP stationary engine (below, the one above is an Ellis and very fancy). Mine weighs in at about 600 ungodly pounds and is made of cast iron and a few classy brass fittings. It was manufactured to do farm work or jobs that today might have an electric motor on them. Most were mounted on a set of four steel wheels and could be hauled from job to job around the farm or home by a buxom house wife. The engines were crude---rather like me. However, there are many stories out there in the dusty hinterland of folks who bought one in say 1910, and then used it daily until after the big war, WWII. About the only thing that could go wrong were bearings wearing out, all of which could be changed in a hour or two.


They were used to grind corn, generate electricity, lift hay to the barn, pump water and if the firing was steady, as the rhythm section of a string band (my use). No motorcycles or lawn mowers (unless one wanted crushed parts), but they could saw wood and generally make life easier---if a buzz saw is deemed easier. Safe? Well!

The fuel could vary quite a bit from gasoline to diesel, or kerosene like mine, maybe a mixture of home-brewed ethanol and restaurant cooking oil. Interesting hey? Folks restore these things even if they have been laying in a swamp sheltering frogs and leaches for 50 years and they still work like new.

So the more I mess with these things, the more it makes me wonder if they might not come back into play when task become more local and simple. There is one called a Lister, that is still made for the 3rd world market that can run all day on a gallon diesel. Worth a thought, plus I love playing with the simple toys. Oh, as of this moment, mine has yet to actually run but we are poised. Some people make fun of me.

1 comment:

  1. This motor are nice but it is so old model.Now we can get new model also.That new are very nice than older one.Besides we can use this Wright lawnmower parts in it.

    ReplyDelete