Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Missionary's Position



"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children." Native American comment


Now doesn't that just hit it on the head? And these were the same people we saw as savages. It would seem to me that somewhere along the line we so-modern types would figure this one out.

I suspect that it all comes down to an innate greed and the never-ending desire to have it all. I recently read The Spirit of the Gene by Reg Morison and he made an interesting observation that humans were actually a plague species. Like locust we would continue to expand our populations consuming every consumable resource until it was all depleted and would suffer the demise of all plague species. How about that one?

One would think we would have transcended the life style of the locust and the lowly yeast. We, after all, have a highly developed brains and the ability to see ourselves in relation to the environment. We supposedly have the ability of reason and to make the connections. Thus, we should be able to recognize our weaknesses and make adjustments.

Well, for 2010 I'm going bust my ass trying to keep it simple, keep my eyes open, scale it down even if I know that if every American did so, the economy as we know it would collapse. It is a strange world. Instead of buying a big board and riding the wave, I'm going to go for a nice handful of beets, long walks in the woods, and do my damnedest to make a decent place for the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment