Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Burial Ceremony at Arlington

My personal experience in the military consisted of taking an officers exam and a physical back in 1966. This was done prior to being drafted. I did well enough. In fact, I was told I did particularly well. I laughed.  Circumstances and critical occupations prevented me from serving. I was not sad for even at that time I knew too much---part of which came for Lt. Col. Al Herzog, my wife's father. .

Ann's family has a long distinguished military history with her father being in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam as well as serving in the Pentagon. Her sister's husband served as a soldier in Viet Nam and there son has been twice in Iraq and once in Afghanistan. Quite a commitment and one that has, I suppose, had a price.

While her father lived to old age, her brother-in-law recently passed away at the age of 62 of melanoma. It was no secret he had been exposed to agent orange and like many of his comrades, he may well have paid a price. He also received a Purple Heart and as such, the good Srg. Brandon Whittington was buried in Arlington in Washington.

Having never been to a military funeral, and having a very bad taste in my mouth from losing a good friend in that war, I probably never wanted to go to one. I have never even been able to go to the monument while there because of the anger I hold. My children rubbed the name of Norm Billip for me. I am still pissed.

For this funeral I went almost wanting to know not only my own feelings but to see the traditions, maybe to get a sense of what the military really is, to see the regimentation, maybe to just reflect. I'll admit my emotions were all over the place, flying off to the monuments of Lincoln and Jefferson to the East, the Federal Capitol just behind them. So many many dead, so many wars, lives cut short, a majestic hillside of white stones, some 600,000 we were told. A civil war, the European conflicts, the stupid wars all represented, lined up there over-looking the capitol and the politicians that too often caused these deaths. Yes, some were noble others not so.

For him, a man who lived a good life, a noble life as a father and a husband this seemed fitting. The solemn dignified, highly formal ceremony was, I suspect, much like the army, All crisp and clean and on time, intent, yet personal. The gun salute for some reason got me as did the taps. Music and guns, different aspects of our culture. I could see how this strict regimentation holds the hearts and souls of those who belong, but I find myself standing back wondering if that is what it takes to get men to walk into battle. Is it good or bad?

The ceremony was impressive and I felt gratitude. I felt that he had been honored. I thought of the many veterans who are still suffering and not given proper care. I guess I know too many anti war songs, "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya." May he rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment