Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wine Making---Progress

Eight days ago a batch of wine was started. One would think that some time next year I would be able to sample the concoction and make a determination if there had been anything close to success. Luck would have it that I can already report initial accomplishments (better than my Wisconsin football team). It would seem that all fermentation was done in those initial eight days. I mean, it is like done and clearing up in the big jars.



Thus, after only a little over a week, I was able to test it and Woweee, it is tasting good, so much so that even if it was a touch cloudy, it called for a one glass sampling---not three-sheets-to-the wind sampling, or skidding-on-my-head sampling, just that one.

The first batch tested was the one that had the skins, stems and bugs left in for 5 days while it bubbled. Today, before racking to the carboy, the taste was of a nice Merlot with a touch of Concord, quit dry, nice flowery nose, pleasant back-of-the-mouth follow. Sassy but not pretentious. Sweet Jesus, life is good.

The next, larger mix, proved to be sweeter, had a touch of sulfide still lingering, was a smidgen cloudier but still reminiscent of a fine Rose that I used to experience while in the monastery where we (fellow monks) drank robust flagons of the stuff every night before prayers. I did a nice glass in testing and I am no worse off for it. Stay in touch on this one and maybe I will share if you should stop at the rectory.

Just think, eight days and there is drinkable wine for a total cost of $7 for seven gallons! Church is in session.

No comments:

Post a Comment