Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

In the Kitchen. A Reflection

Well, it got frigging cold. While I find this on one hand alarming, on the other hand it is an opportunity. I can sit around and feel sorry for myself, maybe wet my paints, maybe bitch, hide in the corner whimpering like a girly man or I can embrace the day----sorta of a sub-zero carpe diem thing. I still may wet my paints but there are drugs for that and there is also beer, which in a couple of hours I intend on embracing with gusto if not elan. What does that word mean?

Better yet, we decided to bring back the summer. To do this we rounded up fresh produce from the garden which we now have stored in buckets scattered around the house. They are scattered because we are trying to find the perfect cool spot. Some are up in the upstairs bedroom that is now down to about 42 degrees (according to Gayle), another is in the basement at 50 degrees and one more is in Ann's studio at 55 degrees. The carrots, beets, rutabagas and parsnips are tucked comfortably in maple leaves feeling like Russians on the tundra.

A nice assortment has been extracted from the studio and prepared by cleaning, scrapping and cutting. They might have been a little warm because they are sprouting just a touch. Still, they are looooking good. In addition, potatoes were added choosing smaller firm ones for Julia Childs style texture and appearance.

To top it all off, we included a nice cut of chopped venison that was secured last year when it was dispatched due to unanticipated, unintended vehicular contacted. With a pleasant ensemble of spices, the entire composition was plopped on the wood-burning cook stove and allowed to rest and work for a few hours. I love the cold because it makes the warm soooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment