Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Truck Full of Oak---A Thing of Beauty

Some days are perfect to fetch up a fat load of oak. Temperature, 28 degrees, sun working its way out, my ass is getting fat or wasting away from sloth, at least sore from sitting and a person needs exercise to keep the blood moving. 


I fetch it up using our 1997 150 Ford. We keep it in the woods so as not to attract thieves and to prevent it form being used for casual driving because at 15 to the gallon this rig ain't not pleasure ride. Who'd steal it? Nobody, and it is not that pretty, so there it sits, ready to haul wood. It is so huge we are almost embarrassed to own it because the brute just doesn't look sustainable. But how you gonna haul your wood that 14 miles? Fifty barrels of oil just to build it. With a bit of luck it will last the rest of our wood cutting days----if gas will.


My brother had an accident with the Ford. It seems he parked under a tree that he should have recognized with the next 70 MPH wind would drop "something" on our 4 X 4. So we get this wind and sure as hell Jesus dropped a big limb on the blue monster breaking the windshield , removing the side mirror and denting the pristine fender.


As a result of the damage, today I hit two trees trying to get in position for my pick up. One I scrapped because I couldn't get a look see on the left, and the other I backed into sorta because I didn't see it. Not much damage done and after all, the truck is for hauling wood and not scoring chicks.


The main thing is, the truck still works for hauling wood which is sorta like Hall and Oats, just that it can not sing. When that baby is full it is a thing of beauty with it's half cord of wood. It is a bit odd that even this four wheel drive unit still has pretty lame suspension, so the entire unit rather sags and wobbles as we motor down highway B. Still love it, with my hours well spent in recreation, exercise and accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment