Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Maple Sap that never Ran

First off, I know I have been lax but when spring arrived in February, I was beside myself, meaning I was just standing there wondering just what hell was going on. Like most, I didn't complain but just took it standing up thinking it was sorta cool. "Isn't it pleasant out.?" "Why yes. I so much enjoy the warm weather instead of all that cold." she said in ignorant relief. 


But there were others, maybe the more astute that began asking other questions, like, "Just what the hell do you suppose this will mean to the tick population and all the God damn disease those suckers carry?" "So why the hell are the Cardinals singing so early and then a friend writes form Florida and says there is growing concern that the gulf is warming way too fast and too soon. Oh, it is about those hurricanes, and that is not a baseball team. Son of a Bitch, it may not all be so good not to have a winter. I wasn't even tired of it just yet. I have not even hardened up.

So about 3 weeks ago some enterprising yahoo started putting out there sugar bush buckets because they saw an opportunity to snag some early sap. Most of us just lifted our eyes skyward , shook our collective heads and thought it was some sort of anomaly put on us by a pissed off mother nature. We wanted no part of it. It was still Ice fishing time, or ass fishing as Ann calls it. 

What do ya know, some of those jackasses made a few gallons and were all puffed up like a  couple of toads. We, the more conservative, held back for the real thing. Then there came an opening of a few days of 20s at night and 45 in the day. The sap started but soon became indigent when it quit freezing and the daytime temp went to 55. There sits my buckets, forlorn, empty and disappointed. The buds are coming out and it is the 12th of March. Ain't right.

I just saw a map of drought prediction and the south looks real ugly. Time to start the garden, maybe cactus and Mesquite. http://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change.html

.

No comments:

Post a Comment