Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Revolution Watch---University Education

Today, just for the hell of it, Ann and I attneded a confab at the Portage County court house put on by a group called Wisconsin Way. No, it was not set up to learn how to talk Wisconsin, like Oh ya, hey. But rather, it was about some plans for getting by in the changing world by looking for new possibilities in economic developemnt.

It was a most interesting presentation by a Mr. Wood, one time gubanitorial candidate, on ideas that had been arrived at through group participation around the state. It started 4 years ago, and as he pointed out, many things had changes in that time. It was well done and did provide some ideas I had not heard befor even though I had been on a high-powered economic commitee in northren Colorado.

The one idea that really aroused my interest was to make college at our Universities only a three year program as a way to save some good folding money. It seems the 5 year escapade I enjoyed now cost some $150,000 and I could pay for it by summer work and some odd jobs while at school.

Sorta looks like times are changing---like maybe school is only for the rich. So the proposal was not a bad idea from a straight economic position but I found myself wondering if this was not another down-grade of the standard of living. Does it mean I could not have taken the course on plant migration? Slip a little here, slip a little there.

No comments:

Post a Comment