Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Missionary's Position

In the world of my reading there is the never ending jabber that we all need to learn to ride bicycles and use them to get around. Of course, the message is to not use as much of the precious fossil fuel in our motor cars. In addition, the riding of bikes is good exercise and will make us all fit.



Every time I hear this I think,"Ya, great idea and all but just how handy is the bike and just who can ride one of the things?" Well I do my best and so does the first wife. I truck around on my old Trek with the cart behind it, get the groceries, even take it fishing now and then, but really there are limits. First off, most Americans simply do not have time to use one. You have to get on it, peddle ten miles an hour to you destination, might even have to have special cloths.

Then to top it off, most folks are not up to it, to fat, too old, too lazy. Probably only 10% could even consider the idea at all. Hell, 25% of the state is obese! What about winter? Lame idea for the most part. Never fly here. But I would like to know just what people are going to do when gasoline is not abundant like it is now, or when it is too expensive? Walk, donkey carts?

Well, Ms. Ann (the first wife) has made a statement. A few days ago she had to go to Nelsonville to attend the knitting/stitching group. It is some 4 or 5 miles. What does she do? Hops on her bike and goes, dress, pack and all. She is 65. Now there is an answer of sorts. It can be done. In January?

No comments:

Post a Comment