Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

July and Butterflies




It is another beautiful day and usually I would be outside fiddling around doing some of the endless tasks I always seem to have. In fact, I was outside and that is when I noticed a Giant Swallowtail working the garden, particularly the carrots. I dashed out to get a photo only to find out that while the elegant butterfly was still around he had great speed and almost no composure. As a result he flitted here and fluttered there not really giving me much of an opportunity to get that one good one. However, he is on film and I offer him (or her) up for viewing.

We also noticed a few days ago that the Monarchs are around perusing the milkweeds. They too are high speed insects and really didn't seem to be interested in settling in even though I have deliberately and in great kindness left the huge milkweeds for them.



The best photo Ann took ten days ago of an Admiral that simply would not leave the Sweet Williams. As a result she managed to get the perfect portrait of a untouched specimen. It was so good this particular butterfly had us send a JPG to her relatives in the south.



Fortunately, we have seen few of the cabage butterflies and our lusty cabbages to this day remain untouched and unviolated but their lousy catapillers. If they show the shotgun comes out, metaphorically of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment