Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Wood Pile--Providing Heat

Years ago when I was making my first wood pile, Billy Bandt told me that wood was particularly wonderful because it heated a person many times. It wasn't just the heat that came form the burning. Now, he was a man I truely admired, and he owned a saw mill, so I knew he had to be right even if he did have a twinkle in his eye.

He watched me hack away with the maul and then said, "See how warm you are getting." I'm sure I grinned and got his drift. Then in great western style he offered up more backwoods heat related information. "Now when you cut it down you also got warm, you hauled to the truck, and unloaded it here, the entire time getting warm from a little work." I'm sure knowing Billy and him thinking I was a hippy also was considering, and may have said, that in my case it may have not been "that" much work.

With more pondering, I also learned that I had to haul it into the house and get it in the fire. Then the ashes had to be trucked out to the garden all the while heating me up.

What I liked most was him enjoying the moment, standing there just watching and grinning, hands in his pocket thinking that we were young and stupid. He loved his wisdom and being able to share it. Such a simple thing but so wonderful.

I never forgot that day and still love the many forms of heat generated by wood. The pile of split is a reminder, it is a thing of beauty, that represents Billy and the effort that goes into it. Actually, Billy was another form of warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment