Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Missionary's Position

Oh boy. Here is a new article I cut from the Madison paper. Now mind you these things are barely papers in the classic sense because the internet is far more comprehensive than these miserable rags they still call newspapers.

However, this is of note because of the topic. It seems China has passed the good old US of A as the biggest market of automobiles. At first thought, one might say, "Wow, that means there are all these new markets for the wheels of industry".

It stated that it was thought that this would not happen until 2025 but bingo--this year. In their judgement this dubious accolade would go back and for from the USA to China for a number of years with the 12-13 million units being sold in each country. As they used to say in Colorado, "I tell you what, I think we got a problem here. "

It would seem to me that fuel for these autos is a finite resource that, by many accounts, seems to have peaked in production back in May of 2005. Might there be a commodity availability issue on the horizon. Just where do they think they are going to get more and more fuel for all these vehicles? I mean, a year ago the 13 million Chinese that just bought their first car were walking or bicycling. There is just something here that doesn't add up---or is it me? Do you suppose this will impact emissions? Like, why should I cut back on my use of fossil fuel? Might as well just buy a big board and ride the wave. Then, in the end I suspect we may all have to cut back on consumption----voluntarily or by mandate.

No comments:

Post a Comment