Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

Reflections on the Actic #9

I believe this will be the final posting on my unbelievable trip to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. I could go on forever but then most of the adventure was for me and my compatriots. We will remember. Each day I think about it in little ways. Many times it is just moments of seeing things that were so new, so untouched, so distant, so raw. Unless I were to wax prophetically, I probably could not really write where my thoughts would want to go. I am not Leopold, nor Muir, not Stegner but I am me and I saw many things great and small and for that I am thrilled.



I did notice on the way out while standing on the so-called land strip, which is actually in the 1002 area, an area that has some oil exploration, that I could see the hand of man. There on the ridge to the east it was possible to see one set of tire tracks from a large seismic testing machine. They were made over 50 years ago and were still as visible as they were the day they were made.



As we flew out, we went over the "developed area" where extensive exploration had been done. I took no pictures. They would have made you cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment