Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Missionary's Position---Insurance

As I mention in my intro info to the right, I have a new feature to my Blog. This is the first posting of that sort.

What I have here is a statement from a hospital for the billing of a knee replacement. One will note that the bill is a tidy $58,893. It is also seen that that payout by Kiaser was $11,578 and the patient paid a $1,000 portion. What is interesting is that the bill is paid in full!

From what I can learn the insurance company has a pre-arrangement with the hospital to pay a set amount for this proceedure---aparently what the cost of the operation should cost--or what it is really worth. For discussion this is about 20%.

When I first saw this, I was astounded because two years ago Ann, the good wife, had breast surgery and she had no insurance because no one would insure her because of a previous bought with cancer. The bill for the cancer treatment was about $75K. That was the bill we received. Does this other bill imply that it should have been $15K? What the hell is going on? Why should anyone who does not have insurance pay any more than 20%? You tell me the system is not broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment