Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sloth, Wrath, Greed and Envey


 I recently ran across these illustrations of a number of human traits and found them to be most interesting. I am from Wisconsin so they really made me happy in that we seemed to fair pretty damn well. I have used national maps before to illustrate other characteristics like importance of education, income parity and maybe religiosity---maybe I also threw in NASCAR interest as well.

The message was always the same and that was it appears, I have found a place, this Wisconsin,  that fits my style. Pretty cool. This particular batch, and there are a few more, was put together by Kansas State University as a way of measuring the presences of these attributes in a given population. http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2009/05/mapping-the-seven-deadly-sins.htm

I would think that their methods might be suspect but still entertaining, but the effort as near as I can tell, has a real academic bent to it. LUST for instance was measured by the amount of sex crimes that were reported in any given area during a specific amount of time. Probably includes all sorts of buggery and so on.


WRATH was measured by court records of excessive anger manifested in criminal charges. Keep in mind I am not giving a complete or comprehensive representation of their methods but just a generic comment, or an attempt to paraphrase their statements.

SLOTH probably was done by determining how many folks tended to sit on their asses and not seek to better themselves or their community. GREED possibly on the aggressive desire to have material things and at any cost.

ENVY, I suspect, was determined by the amount of robberies, thefts, and other assorted rip offs. One would think that Wall Street would probably be the center of the last two charts but if one looks real close it is obvious New York is always very red so it would seem this is the center off all issues. Wonder why?

On these graphs one has to notice the the upper Midwest is rather blue and that means the least amount of deviation form the standard. It doesn't mean we are pure as the driven snow, but we are well situated to enjoy a reasonable life of leisure not drowned in pretentious lusting for goods and lust--I am lustful but it is all aimed in one direction--if you know what I mean, and it is not toward myself in an act to take advantage of myself---like some of you. Anyway, I am feeling good about this and willing to get puffed up like a toad. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment