Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Are we but Children?


“In ever real man a child is hidden who wants to play.”  Fredrick Nietzsche

While I never ran into this quote until I was rather old, I realized that it is a point of view that has always gleefully traveled in my veins. I’m sure some will say, that is why I have always been so immature, or juvenile, and occasionally infantile in my behavior. This guy Nietzsche is very smart and even famous for his writing, so he demands respect. What this amounts to is, I now have justification for the way I act. I mean, it has always been clear to me, DNA was behind my continual desire to play.

Now, the implication of the quote is that I have the possibility of being a child (chronologically, there may be some slight questions) and on first reading, that is the direct implication. Let’s look at the possibilities.


All my trashed joints and daily nagging of assorted pains are a clear indication I will not be crab-walking around on the carpet pushing kiddy building blocks around----but maybe later. There is also the flexibility attribute that kids have---not going to happen. I have, for years, enjoyed the image of the toddler who, while standing, begins to sense that he is about to topple and he just sits down, boom. The idea of stumbling, catching myself and then just plopping down is genuinely frightening. It would appear my bum has largely fallen off, if one knows what I mean. Just no cushioning left. Butt first on the ground would be embarrassingly unsightly and a giant pain in the butt. More than likely, it would involve a broken hip---at least a dislocated bum. Clearly, I will not be a toddler again so the infantile label given to me is not applicable.

In my analysis of “play” possibilities, as say a teenaged child, hormonal development has to be an immediate consideration. I may not naturally be able to come up with some hormones, and imagining a huge dump of testosterone flowing through my old veins, leaves me alarmed.  If I were to move in this direction, it would be through supplements. To top it off, I see adds on TV advertising some sharp-eyed lawyer whose services are aimed at addressing legal issues for testosterone therapy. It seems the testosterone treatment has the possibility of inducing every known disease man has ever known---possibly one as serious as really acting like a teenager. So in terms of the “play” associated with being a teenager, it would seem, that is also out the window.

If the age of 16 was desirable “play“ level,  I would also have to be hell bent on really looking cool. One’s mind might say ‘cool’, but the mirror would speak another language. Plus, the act of wearing shorts in subzero weather would be down-right life threatening.

Without much effort, it is easy to eliminate some of the “play” activities that one might consider as we get older and the above examples quickly illustrate just a few of the problems. Still the “play” and “child” statement  has to be given more consideration because it has to be true. So just how do I approach this directly and use it to bring out the “child” and the “play” of Nietzsche.

  One of the play activities is clearly to ride a bicycle. While I may not be able to zip around and do wheelies, I can, in my way, move about, no, not looking cool by wearing spandex and a $200 dollar helmet, but it can be done, providing there is not another crash and burn, the big auger in. I have noticed some friends have gone back to using a tricycle, just like we had as a six-year old. So, this is truly a form of childlike play.

Mostly, the ego has to take a bath, the part that says, “act my age” so that sitting at the dinner table with a couple of carrots hanging from my nostrils is Ok---oh yes I can. Can we, in a juvenile way, look at things of interest---like girls? Of course, and talk stupid and make inappropriate comments, maybe noises about politicians or our friends? Yesseree. Is eating an ice cream cone and acting like a little kid, all thrilled and drooling, fair game?---yes. Can we pursue folly and be foolish---I would say better than most kids.

We can also play bocce ball, be real clever, sit around complaining of our and other’s maladies, drink a nice toddy with flare, all with a child-like sense of glee. Basically, I want to talk big and act smart while playing with life. We can swim, but probably should not go for the revealing swim wear like a thong bikini---particularly the dudes---you know, the type we used to wear while on the south coast of France. 

Easily we can do some corn bag tossing and play horseshoes while exchanging nonsensical juvenile banter. That is “Play” and it is child-like. Even if our minds are failing, still, we can play---maybe do the same thing everyday and think it is something new. What it comes down to is Nietzsche is right. There is a child there and it is time to play.






No comments:

Post a Comment