Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Magic in the Yard---Wild Things

So many times one thinks it is necessary to travel far and wide to see exciting wildlife. Now, I am not talking about seeing lions and tigers, that is true, but on a smaller scale it can be pretty exciting right here among the blades of grass and towering Maples of the backyard. In a matter of a couple of evenings of casual sitting in the backyard, usually with a gin and tonic well situated in my hand, we saw the following commotions, or not so much commotions but events, well, maybe not events but situations.


 This warm evening, as I sprawled out in my anti-gravity lounge chair, we noticed one off our resident squirrels on top of the local pole, the one used to hold the obnoxious street light, going into a alarmed froth over something. He was doing this chop, chop, chop, growl thing and looking off to the east as if directing some choir (there was a funeral today). His tail was shivering and he was sounding some alarm as if it was a tornado warning, or the British were coming. He obviously thought his ass was on the line.

In doing a little snooping, we noticed the good reverend's gray cat strolling the dark park under our spruce tree. The aspect of the chatter that got our attention was the out-and-out alarm. I mean, he was even telling US something was up. "Like dude, there is a religious cat coming your way." It was damned obvious he was also telling every living thing trouble was in the offing. The birds had totally vacated the feeder. Not a bad system."Alarm, Alarm, the Nazis are coming. Hide. "  I hate cats so I felt a certain comradery with the squirrel. Unfortunately, this is a decent cat, maybe a bit religious, but still better than the overly fertile feral feline that has been about--the one that needs to be "fixed" in more ways than one. I was not alarmed, but not pleased as cats kill my song birds. They are like humans, there are too many of them.


Well, a bit earlier we noticed this Wooly Bugger, Wooly Bear, or whatever,  heading for the Lemon Grass. Really a strange one with these yellow hairs punctuated with black spikes. He appeared to have no motive and for all I could tell was totally blind. Just went hither and yon, apparently looking for a nice place to pupate. I thought of feeding him to the bluegills in the rain barrel but due to his coolness let him live and go about his way.


The Tiger Lily hung so wonderfully in the side garden and in it sat this green cricket just wanting to do some flower time. I have no idea his ambition nor objective other than to be aesthetic. He was a delicate things all poised to do something, maybe just sleep. I heard no call from him, so while he was well positioned to find a mate, he seemed not to be working at it. However, at night the calls are going out and the crickets of late summer are calling in great numbers. He is well situated for sure. If I was a potential mate, I would consider him nicely appointed and certainly consider a roll in the flower with him. 

Late summer and the wildlife here is rumbling with activity. Oh ya, I am easily entertained but being right here is very sustainable, no consumption at all just a small serving of energy from the garden, and the gin. In truth, I can and have produced my own gin. I have the juniper berries and the grain alcohol of my own manufacture. My God, I am really sustainable.   Maybe a bit full of myself, but sustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment