Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Chickens---- Sustainbable Chickens in the Backyard

Seems like we have always had chickens in the backyard. Mostly they were egg producers, but they are also a source of entertainment. Once in a while, if one should meet an untimely death due to inappropriate contact with a predator, they went in the pot, but mostly they are for eggs, tall standing, yellow-yoked eggs.

Used to be one could take the price of the grain that they consumed, and it is not small, and divided by a dozen eggs and determine the cost of our eggs, but as time has passed the price of hen scratch has gone up uncomfortably, so I suppose a dozen now is close to $2 but still for these great fat eggs it is a price worth paying. In the summer if it is safe to let them forage, they can pick up a little of the expense in grasshoppers and plants. Truth is, we just really like them.

Today, when I came back from my travels in the greater metropolitan area of Amherst, I walked, hobbled or whatever you call it,  toward the back door of the house and as I did, the hens gave that sound, the one that says something is up, something is out of order and there is a need to be alert. I instantly said, "What's up girls? Got a problem?" I looked skyward because that is the usual source of concern, even in town,  but nothing. I hesitated and looked right at the flock, all of them being on alert, standing tall and close to motionless. As I looked a gray, ratty-ass cat twitched it's ears just behind the coop.

The sneaking scoundrel  saw me and high-tailed it because knowing I am damn tired of him pissing on my wood supply and trying to harvest the birds on the feeder. I have yelled at him, even have a pellet gun, but he is sly. He knows I hate him.

The chickens relaxed probably knowing, while the jerk-off cat is a predator, he is not a real threat to an adult hen, and they are big now, almost bordering on fat. The most interesting part of the event was the bird talk, the alert noise. All birds seem to do this. In Colorado the Wrens would make a panic noise when the snakes were around. The minute I heard it, there would be a snake somewhere, usually a Rattler or Bull Snake.

On one occasion, I peered into the thick hop vines, put my nose right in it,  to find myself face to face with a 6 foot bull snake. I knew something was in there because the Wrens were out of their minds. The Guinea Hens would make a buzzing noise when there was a Rattle Snake in the yard, every time, never failed. It might take us a half hour to find the snake but we we always would---sometimes on the porch and once in the studio.

What it comes down to is yard birds are sustainable. Those suckers make my day and are worth every penny and every pound of garbage they consume. Three clucks for you girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment