Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Shitake Mushrooms---Sustainable Fungus

I just cooked up some sustainable popcorn, that would be popcorn that a friend grew right here in town. It did not have to be imported form Outer Mongolia, no sprays, even though the word on the street was the crop had been attacked by raccoons and the grower dude may have had to use corporal punishment to protect my sustainable kernels.

This has little to do with where I am heading, but I am eating popcorn and this story has influenced by the fact I just packed some sustainable chili peppers in freezer bags and then ate the popcorn. At first I couldn't figure out why my mouth was burning and my lips stung. It is sad how long it took me to figure out what the gig was.

If I want to be sustainable, I will have to wise up or just have a really hot mouth, blistered if you will. I can't let age affect my sustainability. I must be wise to food and touching food. Boy, I could have touched other things!


So that takes me back to the Shitake Mushrooms. A couple of years ago I picked up from the local organic dude, three oaks logs, all inoculated with spores of the tasty mushrooms. We were given instructions and told not to urinate on the new "field" ( I made that up) but were were taught things.

A couple of years passed and nothing, until this spring when I secured my first 'room, and it wasn't much of a toadstool, I'll tell you. However, I learned the fungus was alive. We have been gone for a few weeks having to babysit and on our return a fellow Shitaki affectionato by the name of Wayne from Chi Town inquired on our fungus farm in that he had recently harvested a delightful bouquet.

I ran to ours only to find out they had indeed bloomed right after the last rain and then gone to the worm condos and heat stife. But today, just by mistake, I stumbled up on my oak logs and there proudly protruding from my "farm" were four beauties basking in the shade. Tomorrow will bring a nice side of sustainable, and noticeably nutritious and therapeutic (so I am told by various vegi types)  toadstool stir fry.


No comments:

Post a Comment