Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Steelhead Fishing ----and Sustainability, Revolution Watch

I love to fish, that is without question. With gas now a $4/gal a few new questions need to be asked. Let's see. I drove to Sheboygan in an attempt to catch Steelhead, and maybe a Salmon, that would be a tidy 100 miles in a car, the Subaru, the one that gets about 27 miles/gal, thus we are talking almost 8 gallons of petrol or $32 ! As an individual of modest means this 4 hours of driving and 5 hours of fishing appears not to be sustainable.




Sure if I had endless money, I could just up and go, but considering I actually didn't even catch anything it begins to look suspect. I guess the question is, 'Just how many times can I undertake such an adventure if the gas is expensive compared to wages, or the gas supply becomes constrained---like rationed if supplies are limited?


So while I am being priced out, it would appear that in a energy constrained world this would not be a wise use of oil. Well, I feel bad about it because it doesn't' really seem to be just in a world where many folks in the third world are now not able to buy fuel for cooking due to cost.


Truth is, I don't feel too bad because on the way to Sheboygan I crossed the Wolf River at Freemont and there on a 1/3 mile strip of the river there were at least 20 motor boats working the Walleye sport fishing trade. Now these are not little 12 footers like we used in the 50s but $25, 000 bass boats with 90 hp motors. They all burned fuel at an unmerciful rate, most of it 2 stroke mixture that stink and pollute. I could hardly imagine the cost of fishing for walleyes, and these are mostly working guys, regular folks. How can this go on? Sustainable? I think not. It will be a tough transition---but it will come fellow Jedi. We must be strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment