Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Sculpture---I do Work once in awhile!

I am always torn. I have this need to work at my sculpture. Oh, it is not totally a spiritual need, even though there is some of that, but mostly I like a little extra cashola so we might live the lavish lifestyle we have become accustomed to. Those who know me, might not use the word"lavish" but in the big world, we all, we Americans, live a lavish life, if you get my drift?


It is both spiritual and material, ya, ya ,ya. Of late, I have been doing a piece I call Tyra named after my maternal grandmother, the one that came from Sweden. I decided to see if I could pull off her face. She was a beautiful woman, so why not give it a go. The photo I have was taken when she was about 17.

This is the start of the project and while I have work to do, I am getting close. The sculpture is tall and skinny, while in fact, she probably was only about 5'3" but thin and very Swedish. She arrived in America at the age of 16 and only went back once late in her life. Sad, in that she had siblings. I believe she was born about 1895 and died unhappy and confused some 85 years later. To us, as children, she was warm and charming. With luck, I can pull this off and make a bit of an artistic remembrance of her.



Work is not too bad if I can just stay focused. Spring just keeps creeping in and tomorrow I have to go fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment