Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Snow & Wind, A beautiful Thing

The wind is blowing at a very intense and turbulent 30 MPH. In all its glory, it is kicking the snow around the house letting it settle mostly in the eddies. Clouds of falling snow cascade down the street in front of the house. The chickens, while not really alarmed, are huddled in there coop probably not consciously angered or frightened but possibly bored---if chickens can experience boredom. It is a bad day for scratching. They are just hanging, chilling and not laying eggs. They are on my list of ill performance.


From inside it is all very exciting knowing the harsh weather gives that yang that will make the yin seems so different and delightful. Being forced to idle next to the wood-heated stove is not all bad. There are few outside distraction that can draw me out for long. There are tasks needing be done inside, like trying to play the fiddle and bake a couple of pumpkin pies from the fall harvest.

I will admit, I do go out in the brutal malstrom just to see if I have the mettle. Oh ya, I do. I do because it is only 28 degrees and really only capable of keeping the sissies away. There is a certain pleasure in bracing into the wind, letting the snow bring chill to face, and best yet laying the ground work for going back inside to a warm room and a steaming tea---or a little bracer from Yukon Jack.

What I am getting at is there is no need to be a bitching. This is winter the way it was meant to be, and the only approach is to embrace it because this is life at its best. Wisconsin is a beautiful thing----unlike me, but I can be a little harsh and windy. Entertaining like the storm?

No comments:

Post a Comment