Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Singing in the Choir



Some years ago, more than some, I sang in the church choir. Really. That does not mean I was pure or religious or I wasn't bamboozled into it. I did it and I am no worse off for it. Jesus loves me.

The bad part was I was still in the soprano stage of my life having not gone pubescent, or whatever one calls it---pre-testosterone. I do recall that it was at a time when others around me were taking on manly voices and I still sounded like Betty Jane Stszrusky. This made me apprehensive to sing out when I really wanted to.

I, with two others were bludgeoned into doing a trio featuring We Three Kings Of Orient Are while while walking down the aisle at the Methodist Church. The bad part was that I would be isolated where individuals sitting in the pews could actually hear that it was me trying to be a tenor while I was still a soprano, thus my manliness would be evident, or lack of manliness. Not cool, and the remembrance of complete shame and embarrassment still lingers, but no anger. In fact, singing in the choir was great fun.

To this day singing is a wonderful experience and fraught with great pleasure. Being Christmas, some of the locals consisting of Druids, heathens, small c Christians and maybe a few faithful gather and go farmette to farmette singing the songs of praise.

The new snow was on the ground and the night was crisp in the 12 degree range. The moon was almost full and engulfed in a iridescent dog. All the participants bundled, rosy cheeked and maybe a few fueled by a small, but tasty brace of Mr. Jamison's elixir sauntered into the Wisconsin night. The songs flowed in great succession, some even in harmony by those blessed with the ear of tone. Interestingly, the better singers were the young adults, who unlike many of their elders actually new a number of verses rather than the mumbling attempts of the forgetful who had slipped minds.

What a treat to go house to house and seeing the eyes and smiles of the recipient. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be enough of this, the simple joy of singing, gathering and revelling in the real wealth of life. I sound like a preacher! Oh, shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment