Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Wild Rice Processing with Device Powered by 100 year old Hit and Miss Engine

This is simply one of the finest moments in tinkering with old iron, for today I finally put one of my fine engines to work. It is, by my account, a thing of beauty. This 250 pound 1.5 horse Nelson Brothers Little Jumbo can be seen in this mediocre video just pounding away and spinning my rice processor.

The engine was purchased a few years ago at auction when I actually thought I was buying something else. So for the $100 bid I received what amounted to a pile of rust that had once been a noble engine. Clearly it had seen its better days and that is why it was seen disrespectfully piled upon the grassy floor of the auction grounds. Various parts were broken and stuffed into the cooler, a governor here, a head there, an oiler plum-ass missing. Of course, there was no ignition system so what we had as was commonly called a basket case. Still, Jeff and I never saw an iron mess we didn't like.



  https://youtu.be/-D1OFw38HSY

I was not referring to myself about the basket case even though I have heard myself referenced that way. That is not as bad as a douche bag.

After much effort, we were able to get it going--that would be brother Jeff and I. I will not say it runs with grace and refinement because it is a sight to behold with a hole in the oil receiver, a brazed flyball, an ignition system fudged from leavings of the shop. Ain't pretty in terms of restoration but, it runs and now you too can hear it. Ya, I know it is not Ferrari, but this is the future, maybe, and it will run on cooking oil, ethanol, gas, and probably cheap whiskey (probably won't give that up).

It is connected to my wild rice processing device, the one fabricated from an empty five gallon bucket and some flaps made of conveyor belt scraps. Toss in a couple of bearings I pilfered from Jason the Scrounger and bingo, we have a device to provide me and the little family with fresh wild rice.

As of this morning I am all over myself for the huge success and the nice offering of wild rice. To think I did not even smoke up the shop and I did not get hurt nor destroy any property is an added benefit. Unfortunately, after a 10 minute run the motor decided to take the rest of the day off. So tomorrow I will have more work to do but for now I have the proof of being worth while, and, like, so sustainable. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment