Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

CO2 Emissions---Revolution Watch

So today, just after I did my last rant on global warming, this article shows up in the local paper---interesting in that the local Gannet paper usually will not broach such issues.So with all the talk about controlling emissions, all we get is more of them. It is a joke. As I have previously mentioned, in recent years our emissions have been going down a bit and as I pointed out that was due to the recession and to out-sourcing our pollution to China and elsewhere.

As a result of our continued consumption of fossil fuels, and that would be world wide but we are by far the worse per capita, it would appear that nothing is being done and I mean like nothing.

Two things happened to me in the last 4-5 days that got my attention--again. First off, and maybe the most disgusting, is that I just drove 500 miles to go fishing for 2 days. I can't believe that because it is so wrong, and so not possible in the future even if my Golf gets 45 miles per gallon. I don't know if anybody can just say no. I know the problem and I don't do shit.

Then, today I read this article with statistics on GW and find myself even more floored. I am including some of their graphs because they really lay it on the line.

 The above graph shows possible projections, possible scenarios. Clearly not good as it would seem the most likely is toward the worse.

 This graph demonstrates how the developed countries have off-shored many of their emissions. It is not like we have really cut ours--in fact, even though we have off-shored our emission, ours are still going up as the article mentions. Good God. From the article, "Here's another tricky issue. Emissions can also be "outsourced" abroad. Say, for instance, a US factory moves to China and produces goods that are then shipped back to the United States. America's emissions decrease. China's emissions increase. But who's responsible for that carbon, really? This isn't a trivial issue. The Global Carbon Budget 2014 report notes that virtually all of the reductions in emissions made by wealthy countries like the US and Europe since 1990 have been offset by "outsourced" emissions to places like China. These emissions transfers are now growing at a rate of 11 percent per year."

This one may be the most telling and makes me feel all the worse about my 500 mile fishing outing. It is insane but I still did it because I could, I had the money, the fuel was cheap and I am an American but that is why our per-capita consumption is way the hell above everybody else. What do you do? This will be one very hard transition. This revolution is going most poorly and I am a part of it. Holy shit!


No comments:

Post a Comment