Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Hard-fighting Bass Caught from Belly Boat

 It was a brutal evening but food was needed for the table, so in a fit of self sustainability, I headed out to one of my secret spots to fish the illusive bass and blue gills. The struggle was immense as the wind blew in from the west at a pounding 1/2 mile per hour and the temperature hung dangerously at 72. While noting the folly of an elegant Flycatcher, I landed the first of many Large-mouthed Bass. He came to me in a fit of froth as I plied my trade as colorful fisherman. Sheer excitement hung in the air as a lone mosquito attempted to unload on me but with the strength of many men, the fish were landed and then held motionless before being released. The 12 inch Leviathan seemed massive there in the fading light.


My imagination ran unfettered from the pure glory of the evening. The wild wind died and the sun worked its way through the western trees as the fly line flew about. The fish, the bass and blue gills  swallowed the large white poppers in a Monica-like lust. Oh, to be on the pond alone throwing the line of a five weight and not being encumbered by another soul. The water was mine, the fish were mine. But admittedly, the thought of being sustainable never occurred to me as each fish was released, not so much that I didn't want to eat a few of them but due to being of non legal size. I didn't care. It was the adventure, the trip, journey not the destination.


,An Eagle passed over and I landed an impressive sun fish who, with its inflated ego, thought he could consume a one inch fly intended for a bass. What a night as the Sandhill Crane lifted off the west end and passed over only 100 feet up. It is too good here, to beautiful, so close, so easy. This land is my lover.

I arrived home close to dark and started a fire in the pit, felt the warmth and cooked a bratwurst to go with the salad of this year's garden greens. Such a comfortable warmth, so close to the ground away from the merry band. The wine of my own making was robust but not pretentious. It was the fire. The even glow of coals made of oak. Another warm day in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment