Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Missionary's Position----Climate change and Math---A Repeat Performance

Of late there has been a great deal of chatter about Climate Change, really a lot. It doesn't take much reading to realize the problem is for real and that it is anthropogenic. Groups are forming here and there as I get at least two messages a day requesting my presence at some lecture and round table---usually only attended by the choir.

The last one I attended hit on the most simplistic of issues largely just saying we have to cut back on fossil fuel use thus cutting back on CO2 emissions. This all makes great sense. In reading a little deeper one can also find out the increased heat we have already have,  has created feedback loops such as releasing more methane from the melting tundra--even some great shots of exploding bubbles found under the ice.

http://news.yahoo.com/safe-limit-global-warming-lowered-dramatically-experts-220200893.html

Some folks are very much in a froth and working very hard to try to bring the issue to forefront (above link of the most famous James Hansen from NASA). While I sit here in front of my wood burning stove, that would be the one putting CO2 in the air (probably more than natural gas) it is hard to know where to turn because of the complexity of the issue. Ya, I can bust my ass cutting back and really, we do. 50 MPG car, only heat three rooms, eat local food and try not to travel much (But Christmas in Colorado is a must) , use solar panels (1K system), ride my bike when I don't think I will crash and pout.

At the same time I am stunned by the math for it seems that, while admittedly we have done almost nothing, there is almost no chance of making any gains. Below are a number of graphs that clearly point out everything is going in the wrong direction. Seriously, I would like to know how my actions can off set this picture?


This one is the ass kicker---and this is only China. World wide, there are 1500 coal-fired plants in the planning stages, or farther, now. China wanted to sell 20 million autos this year to last year's bicycle riders. Ya, and that is just a start.


The sad part of it is as long as folks want to improve themselves through economic growth, it would seem there is no hope. Over and over, it appears that we are not really approaching the problem, or the disease, but rather only talking about a symptom. Is it time to re-look at capitalism. Capitalism has this premise that we have to grow and grow and grow, but Jesus man, we are in a finite world. It is not mathematically possible to grow exponentially indefinitely in a finite world.

What is it that we really need to change? Profound thought, I will tell you. I am getting pissed but is there a point?






No comments:

Post a Comment