Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Hard Cider---Fall's Delight

I failed to mention that early in the fall I had the good fortune of pilfering some dandy apples from a friend. I am not sure he meant me to take over 100 lbs of the beauties but that sure as hell is what happened. I was not shy about it as that is not may way and I had a plan---which he did not.

Now, I have known for some time that apples where historically important not so much so they could be turned into pies and crisps, but for the juice that could be fermented. Oh ya, most folks don't really know that but Micheal Pollan laid it all on the line in his Omnivore's Dilemma. It is not that I didn't know this because people need a buzz--always have and always will.

The deal was to get an apple tree that had apples packed with sugar, the more the better because that will drive the alcohol content--more sugar more potential buzz. I suspect this was a winter thing where harvest the apples in the fall, get a good batch going and then by Christmas, while grooving on the Baby Jesus, one could get sloppy drunk and fall onto the dinner table fulfilled. At least that was part of my plan.



So I took the apples out to Byron's where a mass of apple pressers had gathered, admittedly for the purpose of fellowship and getting fresh gallon of apple juice. Not me baby. I rounded up over 5 gallons hell bent on brewing the mash up for the holiday experience. I did not detect any disdain for my intention, so I felt vindicated (sort of a pun).

I totted the jug into the kitchen drunk with excitement,  and added champagne yeast and let her rip. A few days ago I bottle what was clearly not swill. I mean, this stuff was ready to go right now and Christmas is some 6 weeks away so the Baby Jesus will have to wait. However, Thanksgiving will do. I am excited because the taste was exquisite if not profound. This is not fermented pond water but the nectar of the gods. Only problem is, I don't think it is more than, say, 7% alcohol. Still, I am full of myself on this one.

Now, it is no secret a person can set a jug of this stuff out in the winter and let it freeze. The part with the most alcohol will not freeze and can be poured off for Apple Jack---the real objective of our forefathers. Such opportunities.


No comments:

Post a Comment