Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Oh, the Spring---Part of the Revolution

This morning I went to the river to find a trout. Ice pellets were falling with a little push. The breeze was noticeable from the east. Water visibility was negligible due to the darkness of the day---and this is not the first day like this and the attitude around here is getting irritated because this lingering of winter is nonsense in the normal flow of things. April 14 and the sun is still gone and it has been for some time.

The trout told me to kiss there collective fish assholes so it was homeward bound. On the lake I noticed geese and ducks hanging out but they too didn't appear to be catching any fish either. Mergansers, Hooded and Common, skirted the mill pond probably as pissed as me. Still, I enjoyed the outing just because I still can do it. I can still go out and fish and feel the cold on my face. I like the ducks have not given up.


Had I caught one of the damn big old trout that I heard was released by the DNR the day would have been perfect. I ain't no candy ass.


Rather than fishing I should have been back at the homestead boiling my maple sap but the cold and the gloom has at the moment gotten the best of me. Then there was the snow that fell only hours ago and covered the wood pile one more time. The middle of April and still the snow stays, a foot or better and more today as if it is permanent.

What's with this bullshit? Last year this time the freezing nights were all gone. March had days of over 70 now the Ice Age is back. Ya, yesterday I read that in the Uk they are going to have a conference to discuss the possibility that they may have to confront a mini ice age like they had in the 13th century. Really? Oh that's right we have climate change. So me and that squirrel by the sap bucket have to get used to it, embrace it. Doesn't mean I can't bitch. Still, it has been on hell of a year for collecting sap, there are some trout in the stream and at the moment I am tight up against the pot bellied stove sucking up the warmth while looking at the red birds chucking seeds from the feeder.

It is a revolution out there but at the moment I'm still traveling first class. Tomorrow it will be after the Brown Trout again and the sap will boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment