Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Sugar is Flowing


It was winter and then it was spring. Today the big maple was tapped and out of the fresh hole dripped the elixir of sweetness.

I decided that this year, as a way of being sustainable, I would only tap trees I could walk to. There are three giant ones in our yard good for 13 tapes. There is another 2 trees across the road in the town property and if Merilyn has a nice talk with the Sugar Maples in her yard maybe another 4. All told I could pick up another 12 tapes. That amount should give me a tidy couple gallons of maple syrup.

If we were to get rid of all corn sugar this would be enough to sweeten our teeth for a year. Getting rid of King Corn is not esary because it is everywhere but I think spare ribs with maple syrup, oatmeal with syrup and many more, sounds real good and it all comes from trees with in walking distance.

Now if I could make whiskey from it the world would really be right.

2 comments:

  1. My students and I started our maple year just a couple of days ago on March 5th. We made about 10 gallons that day and made another 9 on the 7th. We aren't quite as sustainable as you, but we are embracing the "eat local" theme. All of our sap comes from 300 taps within 3 miles of the school. I swear, there is no finer hands on school project than making maple syrup. So few of today's students realize where their food comes from, whether it be milk, meat, or sugar. By making maple syrup, students get a sense of tradition, eating local, and making something with their own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your absolutely right on that one. I feel sorry for the folks in the cities who never get a chance to see where any of the food they eat is produced.

    I have had a real weird flow. Weather seems to be right. Warm in the day, freeze at night but slow going and quits at 2:00. Maybe tomorrow it will take off.

    Maybe Jim Treb will come on. He lives east of here and has been doing well and has a story to tell.

    Your kids are lucky Siph.

    ReplyDelete