Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Reflecting on the Arctic #2


When we first arrived on the gravel bar on the Canning River I found myself just standing around rather just staring off in space. I would like to think it was not a 10 foot stare in a 20 foot room but it was a touch difficult to grasp the enormity of the place. To the south the massive Brooks Range blocked our return and to the north the river and coastal plain disappeared over the horizon. I just stared, hands held together at my waist much like I would look at a Beirstadt painting----a simple quiet respect of being in a place so few have ever seen and a place left intact.
We decided to camp at the Plunge Creek drop-off location for the night, if there was to be a night, which from a mid western point of view, it turned out there was not. In late August the sun may set but the light lingers and all is still visible. What that means is I had more time to stare.
As Craig rinsed a few dishes in the river water, my wandering eye caught the movement of a sauntering bear 125 yards off, and across the river. It was moving quickly upstream and closer to Craig.
One of the lessons we had been drilled in, was to never yell "BEAR" when there was indeed no bear. No jokes. However, being there was a bear, a grizzly at that, I had the privilege of announcing the bruin's arrival. As is the protocal, one individual is to grab the government gun and at least be prepared. Both Ian and Tara have been trained by the government to deal with poorly behaving bears. They are designated gun bearers--if you will. Others grabbed the hunting rifles and quietly watched as the bear moved up the opposing river bank looking for squirrels. I briefly recalled being called a "squirrel" in my youth.

The reason for the concern is not that some gun happy bureaucrat thinks we should be armed but because there have been a few individuals drop into the food chain in the last couple of years. Every measure is taken to avoid contact but here and there hooligan, or stressed out bears, show up and don't choose to flee. Yes, there are cracker rounds fired, maybe a rubber round but if there is an all out attack, then humans are allowed self defense. Tara also had a bear tag.

This bear, like all the ones we saw, all nine or so, sauntered around looking for food and the minute he realized he was in the company of humans ran off in haste. "Good bear" someone said, real good bear. At this stage of my life I still do not want to be in the food chain. Maybe later.

No comments:

Post a Comment